View the profiles of the 2016 Rookie Squad
2017 Rookie Squad applications
Download Rookie Information here
Download Rookie Application here
The Rookie Program consists of male and female professionals with no stipulation on the number program members; the definition of a Golf Australia Rookie member includes any player in the final six months of their amateur career until the end of their fifth year of professional golf. The Golf Australia High Performance Program has been expanded to allow a number of young professionals to receive the levels of support that has previously been unachievable.
Successful applicants will each receive a rookie scholarship that is offered for a period of one year. The scholarship holder can be part of the program until their fifth year of professional golf. Fully funded Golf Australia Rookies will receive up to AUD $100,000 in reimbursed funding to cover expenses. Partial scholarships may also be offered.
There are essentially two streams of funding the scholarship will assist with:
1.Training and preparation funding.
This is to support players with coaching, strength and conditioning, biomechanics, sports psychology, physiotherapy, nutritionist, etc.
Through the Rookie Program Golf Australia will pay the agreed costs which are part of the player’s annual plan with no requirement for them to repay any of those costs. Players may use their own service team or seek Golf Australia’s support in setting up their preferred service providers.
2.Competition and travel funding.
This is to support the player’s competition and travel expenses that can include but not limited to: airfares, accommodation, entry fees, caddy fees, etc. Through the Rookie Program Golf Australia will pay the agreed costs which are part of the player’s annual plan with no requirement for them to repay any of those costs.
1. Complete Rookie Squad Application Form (to be submitted by January)
2. All applications assessed by Golf Australia selection committee
3. All applicants responded to prior to January 30th
4. Rookie Squad announced February
Criteria for Consideration (Rookie Program)
• Be an Australian citizen
• Have a successful amateur record at national and international level
• Be in the final six months of their amateur golf careers
• Have turned professional within the past 5 years
• Have in place a team of service providers
• Be hard working and highly self-motivated to achieve their objectives
• Submit a full business plan (see application)
• Exceptional time management and organisational skills
• Competing on a recognised professional golf tour (Tours include but are not limited to USPGA, LPGA, European Tour, Ladies European Tour, web.com Tour, JLPGA, Asian Tour, Japan Tour, Symetra Tour, PGA Tour China, Canada & Latin America, Australasian Tour, ALPG Tour))
• Submit a GA Rookie Squad application form by the due date
*There will be no minimum or maximum number of Rookie Squad members. The program is looking for internally motivated individuals who are 100% committed to the process of reaching their full potential on and off the golf course.
Expectations of Scholarship Holders:
• Abide by the Golf Australia Athlete “Code of Ethics” and by the code of ethics of their professional organisation/tour.
• Abide by the Golf Australia Rookie Contract
During the selection or renewal process for a Golf Australia Rookie Scholarship the following criteria will be taken into consideration by the Golf Australia selection committee.
Athlete development processes
Vision and Objective of the Golf Australia Program
The overall objective and vision of the Golf Australia program is to provide our elite athletes with world class resources that will give them the best opportunity to reach their full potential on and off the golf course.
If our athletes can reach their full potential, we believe Australia will produce more Major and International Championship Winners. Australia has some of the best resources in the world, from our coaches, sport science, sport medicine, weather, golf courses, competition, culture of success, and much more.
It is important to understand that the Rookie program was development for our elite up and coming professional golfers. Competing and having success at the international level is an extremely difficult journey. As much as Golf Australia would like to help every up and coming elite athlete the funds are limited to players in which Golf Australia believes has the potential and or are tracking towards Top 50 World Ranking status and warrant the financial support.
Golf Australia also understands and supports that success at the international level can be a long process
The Australian National Squad consists of five levels:
1. Australian Rookie Squad (Professional Golfers)
2. Australian National Squad - Tier 1
3. Australian National Squad - Tier 2
4. Australian National Junior Squad (Age 13-17)
5. State HP Squad (VIS, QAS, NSW Elite program)